200 Hour Course
Yoga East is a Registered Yoga School® with Yoga Alliance, a non-profit organization that is a central registry for both yoga teacher training schools and yoga teachers.
Yoga Alliance has two designations Yoga Schools based on the number of hours of instruction offered by the school: RYS 200 and RYS 500. Yoga East is registered for both designations.
Yoga Alliance has four designations for yoga teachers: RYT 200, RYT 500, E-RYT 200 and E-RYT 500. A yoga teacher may apply for a designation based on the number of training hours completed at a Registered Yoga School®. The Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT®) designates RYT®s with significant teaching experience.
Graduates of Yoga East 200 Hour Course may register with Yoga Alliance as an RYT 200.
Application and Registration - 2015 Course
The 200 Hour Course is recommended for yoga practitioners who have:
If you do not meet the prerequisites, you can still apply. Fill out the application and Laura Spaulding will contact you about your readiness to enroll. You can also phone (don't email) Laura at 502-585-9642 (weekdays 9-5) if you have questions about your readiness to enroll. Application for the next Course, January 10-June 27, 2015. Click to download.
- Maintained a membership at Yoga East for one year prior to enrolling in the Course.
- Have attended a minimum of 100 hours in classes at Yoga East in the 12 months prior to enrolling.
- Have taken at least two workshops at Yoga East with our guest instructors in the two years prior to enrolling (Douglas Keller, Francois Raoult, John Friend, Kino MacGregor, David Garrigues, David Swenson, Ramanand Patel).
- Be proficient in the postures shown in the Yoga East Syllabus (this is a list of the postures taught at Yoga East with their level of difficulty). Levels are Gentle, Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced. You should be proficient in the postures shown for your level. In General, Gentle classes are those taught to older students who have not exercised recently, seniors, students with physical restrictions or medical conditions. Beginning level is the level of most yoga students. Intermediate level applies to students who have been practicing for a long time and can do straight-leg forward bends, hold Caturanga Dandasana, safely practice lotus posture, hold poses such as headstand and shoulderstand for longer periods, and have no limiting injuries. Very few students are at advanced level.
Courses of study registered with Yoga Alliance include five main subjects with these hourly requirements:
Contact Hours (in classes with the trainers)
Non-Contact Hours Requirements
- Techniques, Training and Practice, 100 Hours of which 50 hours must be with the lead trainer (Laura Spaulding).
- Teaching Methodology, 25 Hours of which a minimum of 10 hours must be with the lead trainer. (Yoga East requires 30 hrs)
- Anatomy and Physiology, 20 hours, of which at least 10 hours must be with the lead trainer.
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics, 20 hours.
- Practicum, practice assisting and teaching classes, 10 hours, of which 5 hours must be with the lead trainer. (Yoga East requires 20 hrs: 10 hours assisting and 10 hours teaching)
Yoga East Certification Requirements:
- Techniques: home practice requirement, 10 hours minimum.
- Anatomy and Physiology, 10 hours reading coloring assignments.
- Yoga Philisophy, 5 hours in an independent research project.
- Practicum, 5 hours observing and journaling classes.
- Complete Course hourly requirements shown above;
- Satisfactorily pass exams A, B, C, D.
- Pay Course fees.
Course Components, Dates and Fees. January-July, 2015
Orientation: January 10, 2014, 12:00-1:30 pm East End Studio. Are you a Yoga East member? Have you thought about yoga teacher training? You owe it to yourself to attend this orientation.Techniques (100 hrs):In order to obtain your hourly requirements, you will need to have a Yoga East Mysore Membership during the course, $96/month if paid by auto debit.25 hours Foundations of Yoga Classes with Senior Teachers, meets at St Matthews studio, January 17-June 27, 2015 (included in Yoga East memberships). 20 hours in classes with trainers: Kim Eisner, Anne Kosko, Kara Price, Susan Reid, Laura Spaulding, or Becky Thompson.5 hours Ramanand Patel Workshop (required) June 12-14, $255 for Mysore members.Teaching Methodology (30 hrs):20 hours Art of Teaching, Laura Spaulding, Jan 17 - Mar 7, 2:30-3:30 pm, East End, $200 series of 20 classes, meets Jan 17, 24, 31, Feb 7, 14, 21, 28, Mar 7, 14, 21, 28, Apr 4, 11, 25, May 9, 16, 23, 30, June 6, 20 (Make up day June 27). All 20 hours are required.
5 hours Ramanand Patel Workshop (required) June 12-14, $255 for Mysore members.
Choose 5 hours of5 hours Art of Teaching 200 Hr Level with Anne Kosko, Mar 14 and Mar 21, 2:30-5:00 pm, $100.5 hours Vinyasa Expression 200 Hr Level with Kara Price, Apr 4, May 9, East End, $100.5 hours Art of Teaching Gentle and Restorative Yoga with Becky Thompson and Julie Rubio, Apr 11 and Apr 25, $100.Anatomy & Physiology (20 hrs)Yoga Anatomy: How Yoga Works, Jan 17 - Mar 7, 1:15-2:15 pm, East End, $320 series of 20 classes, meets Jan 17, 24, 31, Feb 7, 14, 21, 28, Mar 7, 14, 21, 28, Apr 4, 11, 25, May 9, 16, 23, 30, June 6, 20 (Make up day June 27). All 20 hours are required. Required text: Anatomy Coloring Book, 4th ed, Kapit & Elson. You will also need highlighters, markers, colored pencils. Yoga, Lifestyle, Philosophy & Ethics (20 hrs):Yoga History & Mythology, 12:00-1:00 pm, East End studio, Jan 17, 24, 31, Feb 7, 14, 21, 28, Mar 7, 14, 21, 28, Apr 4, 11, 25, May 9, 16, 23, 30, June 6, 20 (Make up day June 27). Included in Yoga East Memberships. All 20 hours are required.Practicum (20 hrs)
10 hours of assisting in Gentle or Hatha classes April-June (8 classes).
10 hours Practice Teaching: July-December. Internship fee of $400 is paid to the supervising teacher.
6 month Mysore Membership: $576
Teaching Methodology hours: $300
Anatomy Hours: $320
Ramanand Patel Workshop $255 (for YE members)
Internship supervision fee: $400.
Total tuition investment over 6 months is $1851.
Required Texts and Materials
Always bring a notebook and pen to class.
- Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar
- Yoga the Iyengar Way, Mira Mehta;
- Anatomy Coloring Book, 4th Ed.
Yoga East Recommended Reading List (pdf file)
- Yoga sticky mat
- 2 4" blocks
- 10' D-ring yoga strap
- rectangular bolster
- 2 cotton blankets
Books and props are available at Yoga East. A 20% discount is given to teacher trainees.
Each teacher training student must complete an original research project. The project can be in the form of a written paper, but it can also be in the form of a video, graphic, mixed media, musical or theatrical performance.
If the project is a written paper, it must be typed, printed, and bound in a report cover so it can be stored in the Yoga East library. Papers must be typed, double-spaced, using MLA or Chicago-style citation forms. The paper does not need to be of any particular length. For examples, look at well-written yoga-related articles for publication in Yoga journal, Yoga International, Integral Yoga, or Elephant Journal.
Q: What if I miss classes? Can I make up my hours?
A: There are some make-up classes already scheduled. See the information above. Missed hours can also be made up by taking other workshops. Ask Laura Spaulding to get specific information.
Q: What if I don't want to teach yoga? Is it okay for me to take the course to deepen my own practice and experience?
A: Yes! You do not have to teach. But you will probably find that you WANT to teach by the end of the course.
Q: I'm afraid that everyone in the course will be more advanced than me. What if I'm not ready?
A: If you are taking the course to deepen your practice and experience, we are not expecting a certain level of ability. However, in order to keep pace with the class, we are expecting at least two years of yoga class experience. If you do not have that, wait and take a future teacher training.
Q: What if I have work or family obligations that prevent me from taking enough Mysore hours with Laura?
A: Mysore-style is the way yoga has been taught in India for over two thousand years. Experiencing the Mysore-style of teaching is very important in our teacher training, and Laura is one of the few teachers in this part of the United States who is authorized to teach in this way. You need to talk to Laura when you submit your application.
Q: Can I pay for the course in one payment?
A: No. It is easier for us to keep track if you register for the course components individually. You should pay your supervising teacher directly for the internship supervision. All Yoga East teachers are qualified to supervise you. Pick the teacher of your choice.
300 Hour Module/500 Hour Course
Application and Registration
The 300/500 Hour Course is open to:
- Yoga teachers who have a 200 hour Yoga Alliance registration and have maintained a Yoga East Mysore Membership for 12 months prior to enrolling. Phone Laura Spaulding for more information: 502-585-9642 (weekdays 9-5).
An Application is Not Required
- An application is not required. (1) Download the 300 Hour Syllabus which shows certification requirements and enables you to track your hours; (2) Register for the classes you want to take. You can register online or at the studio. Classes are added frequently, so keep checking the online schedule to see what's new.
- You will need to keep your monthly Mysore membership to attend the required number of classes.
500 Hour Level Certification
An accomplished level of practice and understanding of the principles and tradtions of yoga is required for certification. Simply meeting the required hours is not sufficient for certification as a Yoga East 500 Hour Teacher. Final certification decisions are made by the Certification Committee composed of senior teachers who sit on the Yoga East Board of Directors. Certification decisions are based on the results of your final certification exams. Exams will not be scheduled until you have met all your hourly requirements.
- Asana exam on the level of your personal practice.
- Asana exam demonstrating alignment points of important asanas.
- Teaching exam instructing beginning students.
- Written exam on anatomy, philosophy and ethics.
- Oral exam with the Certification Committee.
Course Components, Dates and Fees
- Classes are shown on our online schedule. Check both the Teacher Training tab and the Workshops tab for current class offerings.
- The schedule will show the Yoga Alliance hours and subject which is covered by the class.
- The 300 Hour Syllabus shows the hourly requirements for certification. You can access your class attendance history online when you register for a Yoga East online account.
Continuing Yoga Education (CYE)
MBO Training for Current Yoga East Teachers
This training is required for all Yoga East teachers and subs. You will not be put on our schedule until you complete this training.
The training is an introduction to Yoga East policies and administration; orientation to the studios and staff; how to register and check in students and handle sales using Mindbodyonline (MBO - our studio software), processing credit cards, operating the alarm system, selling gift certificates and store items.
Upcoming Dates - Register Online with your Student Login (not the Teacher Login) so your handouts can be printed.
Next date will be announced.